13 July 2009

One turn left!

That's right - I only have one turn left out of 29! That's a total of 7.25mm not including the 1mm done in surgery. I see my ortho tomorrow and I'm hoping that she says its enough. I measured my gap just before and its at 6mm. I have no idea if thats huge or average for this surgery? I think its plenty big enough though!
I put a heat pack on my cheeks and upper lip last night to try and get the last of this swelling down. I dont know if it worked - if it did then its only a tiny bit. It felt nice though and at least it promoted some blood flow in the areas.
My bite is completely stuffed at the moment too. I think only my back two molars are touching on both sides and thats it. I also have a lovely overbite going on. I did have a very small one before but now its full on. Apparently this is all part of the process so I guess I just have to trust my ortho. I was told in the beginning that there might be a very small chance I will need a 2nd surgery to correct my overbite, but after more review my ortho said it wouldnt be worth it for 2 or 3mm. I couldnt agree more! I am not keen on a 2nd surgery AT ALL!
Chewing is a real chore at the moment because everything either falls to the front of my mouth and I cant pull it back in without using my finger or its just too hard. I struggled with a chicken caesar salad on the weekend because the lettuce wouldnt stay in the back and would hang out of my mouth... nice huh? I have to laugh about it because I know in a few months it will be a distant memory.
Onto the positives now... I am really liking my new smile. I feel like my mouth is a little wider too because my teeth are alot closer to my cheeks. Before my smile was empty but now there are teeth from ear to ear! I have to focus on what is really going on rather than the gap and eating. Although its hard because I love food and eating... now I'm hungry.

1 comment:

  1. You are beautiful, I can't wait to see your smile once your ortho works their magic! I had a palate expander as a kid and had that huuuuge gap between my two front teeth, it is amazing how quickly that gap closes once the process begins!

    ReplyDelete